Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Some good news for print journalism?

If you're talking about "the state of print journalism," or in any way critiquing traditional media, I can almost guarantee what you're going to say: It's bad news. Numbers are bad; readers are dwindling. It's bad, bad, bad.

But what if it's not all bad?

I had begun to give up hope that I'd ever hear any positive news about print media. In fact, sometimes I'd begun to give up hope about media in general. Everyone is so negative, and I feel like it's all we ever talk about.

But then I saw this report: Naples Daily News reports a 22% increase in circulation. That is, print circulation. You know ... newspapers. You remember those, right? (Juuuust kidding. Sort of.)

I was particularly pleased about this report, not because I think it's changing the game or even a trend that will have any significant impact, but because I used to work at the Daily News. And I still have a lot of friends and former colleagues there. And not only that, but I think Naples Daily News is an incredibly strong publication with some really, really talented journalists on staff. Their photo staff is one of the best in the country. Their Web and multimedia teams are amazing. And their reporters, editors and copy editors are just really great people.

But, mostly, it's just nice to hear some good news once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment