Friday, October 7, 2011

Where am I, and what am I doing here?

Another year, another long-overdue blog post. I suppose it's worth noting that quite a bit has changed since my last entry.

After finishing up grad school at NYU in December 2010, I officially left New York City in January 2011. It was a tough decision, but it made sense: I couldn't rationalize staying in the city while I continued my job search. And, truthfully, I think I needed a break.

Fortunately, my life as a nomad wasn't long-lived. I was contacted by the Knoxville News Sentinel in December after applying for a job as an online producer. After three failed attempts at flying out to Knoxville for an interview (snow, snow and more snow), I finally made it out to interview in February. Shortly after, I was offered a position -- and I accepted! I moved to Knoxville, Tenn., in March of this year, and here I've been for seven months.

As an online producer, my job is to shoot and edit video/multimedia packages, keep the website fresh and updated with the latest news -- and everything in between. It's been a great seven months, and I'm proud of the work I've produced here. 

This week, in particular, has been a very productive one. I've had some great assignments and produced a good amount of content. 


First, I covered Hugh Jackman's visit to Knoxville for his "Real Steel" red-carpet premiere. I was told not to expect to get one-on-one time with him, but sure enough, he was more than accommodating. I produced two videos from that assignment. One overall video about the premiere, and another video about a message Jackman had to UT football fans.

Later in the week, I had the privilege of going to the UT vet school where Smokey, the Vols' bluetick coonhound mascot, was undergoing physical therapy for his partially torn ACL. That was truly a fun assignment. Aside from being absolutely adorable, it was fascinating to hear about his treatment. I produced a video that showed his day of physical therapy, which his vet explained to us in detail.

One series I'm responsible for is our weekly feature of the WDVX Blue Plate Special, a six-day-a-week midday live-music performance at the local Knoxville radio station. I usually attend biweekly and produce three videos for each artist who performs. This week's act was a bit different from the usual honky-tonk kind of performers -- who are usually very talented and entertaining. The videos for this week -- 'Ain't No Sunshine', 'Mercy Now' and 'I Ain't Goin' Nowhere' -- were a nice change in pace from the usual music.


And then today, a feature I've been working on for almost two months, finally came to fruition. I recently was assigned to pick up a series we used to do called Meet the Chef, which is a look at some of the area's most talented chefs. For this, I've decided to expand the feature from a video series to an entire package -- video, article and photos. I kicked it off with Amber Lloyd, executive chef at The Orangery Restaurant here in Knoxville.

It's been a long journey this past year -- and it feels as if it could have been at least two years -- but alas, here I am. And, in case you weren't sure, I'm happy to be here and excited for what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment